Reports to: Operations Manager
Based at: Blaydon
Reporting directly to the Operations Manager and acting as a business partner to the Sales team, the Engineering Supply Chain Controller is a key member of the operations department having responsibility for proactively controlling the company’s key OEM purchased equipment, including quality, cost and delivery.
The purpose of the role is to ensure a first-class experience for our customer by proactively managing the company’s external supply chain to provide equipment on-time and on-budget.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Manage and control the company’s major OEM purchased items, with full responsibility for maintaining accurate purchase costs across the entire product range and reviewing and reporting on costs and variances.
- Ensure all committed delivery dates are met on-time and in full, with proactive and effective interventions where necessary with non-complying suppliers. Where necessary, liaise proactively with relevant internal personnel to communicate potential or actual delays and take all necessary steps to minimise the impact on the company’s end-customer.
- Provision of commercial analysis & financial insight on all bought in OEM equipment and part costs and related supply chain issues, ensuring that costs are realistic, accurate and market competitive. Driving cost savings and working capital improvements from inventory and manufacturing with a clear focus on key purchased parts, whilst ensuring full compliance with all legislative changes and appropriate Directives.
- Contribute to the ongoing review of the technical and commercial positioning of the company’s key products, market trends, changes, opportunities and threats to the company’s competitive position.
- Maintain a system of review of all key suppliers, including month end reporting on supplier’s delivery, quality and price performance, including explanations of key trends and variances. Proactively developing the company’s supply chain.
- Provide meaningful and accurate budgets and forecasts, manage all supplied product costing, production and supply chain budgets and forecast cycles.
- Review, monitor and update as required supply chain business agreements to ensure the best financial and commercial terms as possible (e.g. currency, stock levels, contracts, and payment terms).
Scale and territory indicators:
Core supply chain products of new transformers and HV/LV switchgear (c. £1.4m spend per annum) sourced from OEMs based in the UK and overseas (primarily, but not limited to, Turkey & Italy).
Key Relationships & Interfaces:
The Engineering Supply Chain Controller will interface with the following:
- Key Suppliers
- Operations Manager
- Engineering team
- Production staff
- Sales staff
- Relevant technical/engineering knowledge and understanding of electrical engineering drawings and specifications
- Experience and understanding of working with international suppliers, operating in different cultural environments
- Proven track record of creating and managing Supply Chain KPI’s, with a focus on quality, cost and delivery compliance
- Experience of the implications of purchasing with foreign currency
- Experience of negotiating with suppliers to achieve favourable terms
- Knowledge of logistics and international freight forwarding, with working knowledge of customs and clearance procedures
- A working knowledge and experience with industrial transformers and switchgear would be a distinct advantage, but not essential
Skills & Qualifications
- Qualified to HND standard or equivalent or minimum 5 years’ experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organised, detailed and methodical approach
- Excellent IT skills, a working knowledge of all Microsoft packages and willingness to learn bespoke ERP system
- Ability to work on own initiative and to take ownership of issues
- Good interpersonal skills, able to build both internal and external relationships
- Good planning and facilitation skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing information
- Ability to act as a central source of support, guidance and advice on procurement related matters
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Demonstrate flexibility of approach and attitude
- Demonstrate a confident, efficient and professional approach
- Enthusiastic, adaptable and positive attitude
- Willingness to travel – on occasions at very short notice
To apply for this position, please email your CV to Trudi Shore, HR Manager:
Trudi@slaters-electricals.com (No agencies please)