Reports to: Commercial Director
Based at: Blaydon
To provide the management accounting services to the business, ensuring that the financial control processes that are in place are fulfilled with focus on cash inflow/outflow, reporting, and risk mitigation. To provide financial analysis for forecasting, budgeting, cost reduction analysis, and reviewing operational performance.
In addition to provide support to the Sales & Operations teams, including accurate information analysis (e.g. actual performance vs. budget and prior year etc.), preparation of operational data/analysis for publication throughout the company.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Leading the accounting function including the day to day management of the accounts team.
- Preparation of monthly management accounts & report; year-end financial statements (including commentaries); and forecast cash flow positions.
- Manage audit processes and all statutory reporting, including the annual Companies House filings.
- Interpret the company’s financial results to the management team and recommend improvement activities to help mitigate risk.
- Controlling income, cash flow and expenditure.
- Manage the preparation of the company’s annual budget.
- Reporting on variances from the established budget, and the understanding/implications of those variances.
- Identify, investigate, and analyse potential operational improvement. As appropriate, based on findings make proposals for operational changes (policy, procedures, processes, etc.).
- Compile key business metrics and report on them to management.
- Manage the capital budgeting process, based on constraint analysis and discounted cash flow analysis.
- Handle contract renewals for, and day to day requirements of, commercial insurance, credit insurance, private medical, death in service and utilities.
- Manage credit control process ensuring requirements of credit insurance policy are adhered to, and carrying out routine accounting functions such as payroll, AP payment runs, bank reconciliations, journal posting, & daily on line banking.
- Review customer terms and conditions for areas of operational risk and advise sales team accordingly.
- Support the ongoing Filemaker (ERP system) development plan.
- Ad Hoc analysis of financial data as required, and attendance at Board meetings.
Scope and territory indicators:
Office based with monthly attendance at our Sheffield office, and the occasional attendance at UK based customer premises to support the commercial management of the business.
Key Relationships & Interfaces:
The Management Accountant will interface with the following:
- Executive Directors
- Chairman & Non-Executive Director
- Management team
- Accounts & administration team
- External stakeholders (bank, insurers, and IT provider)
- Strong and resilient personality, able to operate at both board and management levels.
- Have a flare for accounting, and works well with a diverse range of people/personalities.
- Proactive work attitude including willingness to work some longer hours during peak periods.
- Strong experience in interpretation of financial results, and reporting/recommending improvement activities to help mitigate risk.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, ability to work with lookups and pivot tables.
- Experience with ERP business systems, Sage 200 and Sage payroll systems will be desirable.
- Strong organisational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Commercially minded & self-motivated, eager to learn new concepts and participate in new activities.
- CIMA qualified, preferably with 5+ years experience in a similar position within a manufacturing.